Thursday, November 10, 2011

Accept the Things We Cannot Change

I had an epiphany. I have been trying to force a square peg into a round hole. When you keep trying to fight a battle, uphill, that you know you really can't win, I think it's called insanity. I've been trying to arrange my life around my business instead of fitting my business into my lifestyle, which is not the reason I was drawn to this industry!

I think many of us stuggle with this same thing. We decide we want to work our business "this much" because we want to achieve "this title, rank, income or whatever" and then when it gets tough, we throw in the towel because we just "don't have time." Well we all have the same amount of hours each day and while we all have different responsibilities and/or obligations, most of us do have them. My kids have activities, we have our family time and events; I work a full time job and my husband works a completely different schedule AND I'm building business. I spend more time coordinating babysitting, pick ups and drop offs and trying to fit in the income producing activities than I do actually working my business. Many times after dinner, homework, and the bedtime routine, I am wiped out myself. Then I feel defeated because I didn't have time to make all my calls before it got to late. Well...this just isn't working for me, but I refuse to give up on my dreams.

Then I was reminded of the Serenity Prayer. " God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things that I can and the wisdom to know the difference." I can't change the way things are right now. I know it won't always be this way. I know that there are sacrifices that need to be made during this stage of business building. I don't have a problem making sacrifices when necessary, that isn't my issue. The lesson I am learning right now is that I have to fit my business activity into my current lifestyle AND not feel bad about it. I may not advance as quickly as others, but the growth and success of my business isn't measured on someone else's yard stick. You can't compare yourself to someone else.



This is a race everyone can win. It's not about being the first to cross the finish line. It's just important to cross it.

No comments:

Post a Comment